Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Dos Equis Man in Boy Form - The Most Nicest Boy in the World

Welcome, my friends.


He forced his Dad to buy me flowers. 
No, but really...The scene is the supermarket.  Jack saw the bouquets and asked his Dad if they could buy one for me.  He said no(?!).  Jack INSISTED.  "But Dad, Mommy LOVES flowers, we HAVE to get them!"  Matt relented.  As soon as they got home, I hear then see my son barreling down the hall, awkwardly running with his hand behind his back and an enormous smile on his face.  He said, "For you!"  He was four years old.  The sweetness of who he is was once more revealed, making me feel unworthy and so grateful.  I felt like little glittery pink and red hearts must have been bursting from my chest.


Then there's this...
At birthday parties, children fight off the urge to let him open all the presents.

His cereal never gets soggy, it sits there, staying crispy, just for him.

When one of his knock knock jokes doesn't follow the proper format, you can't help but laugh hysterically with, not at him.


When I stopped nursing him that final time he smiled and hugged me. Speaking of hugs, his bear hugs are actual hugs he gives to bears.

He actually struck gold picking his nose.

He has never filled up on chips.


Every time he goes for a swim dolphins appear.

Seriously, though...
When you put him to bed, he goes to sleep without 15 books and 5 songs, 3 jokes and me pantomiming what sleep looks like...just right to sleep.
When I put folded laundry on his dresser, he puts it away without being asked. 
He tells me his dinner is "delightful and delectable" almost every night.
Generous. 
He wants to do the right thing. 
Playful. 
He told me he loves me taller than space.
Honest.
He lets his sister open some of his presents.
He is a joyful optimist who leaves a trace of happiness wherever he goes.
~
"He's a lover, not a fighter, but he's also a fighter, so you better not get any ideas."
With a kid like this, you have to be careful.  He is low maintenance.  He is easy going.  His sister is much more intense and can take our time and energy.  You don't want to abuse who he is by taking it for granted.  We make sure we listen to him and give him time when he needs it. We teach him to make sure his needs are being met by standing up for himself when necessary.  One time, in soccer class, this rogue boy was going down the line kicking and hitting everyone.  For us, it's diplomacy first, then again in a stronger tone, then talk to an adult if you can.  If these steps fail, stop any emotional or physical abuse immediately however you need to.  Well, he asked this kid to stop in a strong voice, the kid didn't, so he picked him up and threw him a couple feet.  I was immediately impressed, yet I started walking over to intervene and ask Jack to apologize (moms are watching me), then I stopped and sat back down.  Nope.  He had nothing to apologize for.  He is learning to be who he is while being self-reliant, self-confident, heard and respected.  We respect and adore Jack.  He's developing into a great blend of playful good nature and assertive confidence. 




My love for this kid is beyond my realm of understanding. Jack, I raise my can of soda to you... the most nicest boy in the world. Cheers, sweet boy!

kiss hug kiss hug

2 comments:

  1. While the basic human emotional well
    is considered large, you, with this
    poignant introduction of Jack, have
    proven that well is infinite.Thank
    you for showing me what a terrific
    kid Jack is and also the depth of
    your heart. Remarkable piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool kid! We know he is going to be tall, and likely athletic, with that gorgeous red hair . . . and nice too? What a package.

    I'm telling all you ladies, you need to be angling to have your little girls be in line to be this young man's prom date! His dance card is going to fill up fast!!

    Seriously, what a doll. Our family tree can use some more nice guys. It's not our number one crop.

    ReplyDelete